BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Awana

I have worked in Awana on Wednesday nights for 8 years now. I love it. Awana is a program for kids where we get to play games, memorize scripture and hear a lesson. It is really a great program.

I have always worked with younger kids in Sparks, but this year I am working in Truth and Training with 3rd graders. I moved up because I take 2 of my nephews with me to Awana. Reid is in my 3rd grade class and Andy is in 1st grade. They always have a great time.

This semester in Awana we are giving our missions offering to Bridge Builders. Bridge Builders is a locally based, Dallas ministry. They focus on reaching out to the inner city. I have volunteered with Bridge Builders many times and I love this ministry. Well, because Awana is supporting Bridge Builders and I am connected with both ministries, I was asked, along with my roommate Corrienne, to talk to the kids last night in Awana about Bridge Builders.


I was great. To see these kids really get what Bridge Builders was all about. I loved it though when Corrienne asked if anyone could tell her what a bridge can take you across and some kid yelled out "pizza". HAHA

I've seen and heard some crazy things in Awana over the years. Kids are hysterical. Below is a conversation that I heard 2 years ago while some boys were "whispering" in story time. The names and identities have been changed to protect the innocent:

Sam: Dude, what is on your fingers?
Alex: I don't know
Sam: Dude, it smells really bad
Alex: No it doesn't, leave me alone
Sam: Dude, I think it's poo poo
Alex: What?
Sam: Dude, you have poo poo on your fingers!!!
Alex: (smells fingers)
Sam: (grossed out, making gagging noises)
Amber: ummm, Alex, go to the bathroom and wash your hands...with a lot of soap.

A few years before that my roommate, Corrienne was teaching a lesson. There were about 100 kids in the room and probably 25 or so adults. Corrienne was teaching on missions and how some missionaries go to other countries and some stay here in America. She said "Some missionaries go abroad, who can tell me what abroad means?" One girl on the front row raised her hand. She was the only one with her hand up. Corrienne said "Yes, can you tell me what abroad means?" The child stood to her feet and proclaimed "A broad is a woman who does not dress very modestly!"

I was sitting a few rows behind this girl and I just about lost it, along with every other adult in the room!

Kids are hilarious and I am so thankful that God has placed so many fun amazing kids in my life. Particularly my 6 amazing nieces and nephews, Emma, Reid, Ally, Andy, Sara Beth & Case. They are by far the funnest, coolest, sweetest kids on the planet!
















Reid and me, last year in Awana Andy and me, last year in Awana

1 comments:

Kari Copling said...

Your blog looks great! I like the new layout (yes, I've been stalking your blog since Tuesday :)

The AWANA story about the two boys, cracked me up! It is a blast to hang out with such hilarious and precious little people. I look forward to what appear to be some more very amusing and insightful posts!